Friday, September 24, 2010

Run Wild for The Detriot Zoo!


We are one week from race day!! We were scheduled to run 15k but I am doing the 10k Detriot Zoo race instead. The Run Wild For The Detriot Zoo race has become a family tradition with myself, my brother and my dad!

The Detriot Zoo race is a good one. It was slightly disappointing last year to realize that it doesn't actually run through the zoo. However, it does run through some really nice residential neighbourhoods. There is a good turn out of over 1000 people and a great group of volunteers. It is nice because many of the residents come out of their homes and sit on their lawns to cheer the runners on. This race includes a 5k and a 10k. The race is chip timed, but you only get a cotton t-shirt and there is no medal. you do get free admission to the zoo which is always fun to look around afterwards. So for only $25.00 it is a great run!

I felt ready and strong today and I wanted to feel that way at the end as well. With the marathon only a week away I wanted to be as confident as possible. I also really wanted to have a pb. Last year I ran this race 1:03, so it was tough to think I could beat that. Last year the water stops were about 10 mins apart, so my plan was to run to each water stop and take my walk break with the water. This year, however, they did not have as many water stops and the water stops were at least 20 mins apart, I still kept to the same plan and only walked long enough to have some water. My final time was 1:01:02. Next year I would love to be under an hour... we shall see! My brother, Jordan and my dad had a good run too Jordan finished in just over 43 mins and my dad in just over 49 mins. The training is paying off and after a long, hot summer it is nice to see the results!


No comments:

Post a Comment