Friday, September 24, 2010

The Night Before, The Night Before!

So here we are! 2 more sleeps and it will be race day! Oh what a ride this has been and I am still so full of emotion and nerve. I have done the training, I have made it through and extremely hot summer, I have finally told my dad that I am running the marathon and I still can't believe that on Sunday I am going to run 42.2km, or 26 miles 385 yards as my dad would prefer I say!

Do I have goals, expectations... yes! So here they are A Goal: under 5:30:00, B Goal: under 6:00:00 and C Goal: to be up right and standing. I think the goals are realistic. There are not going to set any records except my own and not matter what because this is my first marathon, no matter what it will be a pb! But really, what does it matter, the fact is completing a marathon regardless of the time is on hell of an accomplishment, no matter how fast or slow. I am going to do it! I know it's going to hurt like hell at times and I know that I probably will struggle walking for a few days after, but who cares? A running friend pointed out to me that on Monday when I wake up in the morning I will be a MARATHONER!! WOW!!!! ME? A MARATHONER!!! Does that make me a runner? I should think so but we shall have to wait and see!

In addition to making a concerted effort to hydrate and eat well. I have spent the week giving myself positive messages, saying things like: "I know I can do it", "I will do it", "I am capable", I may have even said "I am a runner" and "I will be a marathoner"! I am excited and nervous; happy and sad.

Today a friend and I watched "The Spirit of The Marathon". It presents the lives of different runners trainer for the marathon from elite runners to Boston hopefuls to gazelles to turtles. They are all training for the Chicago Marathon. This movie made me nervous, excited, terrified and proud all at the same time. Written across the front on the DVD: "When you cross the finish line it will change your life forever!" So bring it on! Scotiabank Marathon here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment